Sunday, June 26, 2011

Trout en croute


Perhaps I should change the name of this blog to "What's on sale?", but what can I say? I live in a tiny apartment with three other people, I just graduated college with more debt than I care to think about, and I work as a line cook- we're not talking newly-graduated computer engineer's salary. So, I go grocery shopping, and buy what's on sale. Yes, rice and beans would've been cheaper, but what is life without good food? If you can't enjoy life, then there's simply no point to anything. 
But I digress. Today, trout was on sale at the fish counter, I had a coupon as well, and I could buy any quantity I wanted- for a single serving, it worked out to something like $1.10. I brought it home and wrapped it in the store-brand version of Pilsbury croissant dough (yes, the cardboard tube kind), with some chopped garlic, olive oil, and fresh sage off the back porch. While it was in the oven (350 for about 30 minutes), I found one small zucchini lurking in the back of the fridge, sliced it up, and sautéed it with more sage, butter, and a little cream. Perhaps a lot of cream. Ideally I would've waited for the cream to reduce into a thick, velvety sauce, but I was hungry, and the trout was done, so I ate it more as a broth. Still, the pastry dough soaked it up beautifully, the sage came through just enough, and the trout was complemented by both. A very easy yet impressive meal.

2 comments:

  1. As an associate of law dissertation service, Thomas brings his expertise and knowledge to help students excel in their academic pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As students embark on their academic journey, coursework assignments stand as significant milestones, testing their comprehension, critical thinking, and analytical skills. However, the rigors of coursework often pose challenges, from deciphering complex topics to meeting tight deadlines. In such instances, coursework help services emerge as invaluable resources, providing students with expert guidance, tailored support, and assistance tailored to their individual needs. In this article, we explore the benefits of coursework help services and how they contribute to academic success.

    ReplyDelete