Monday, June 20, 2011

Bathtub Fruit Salad


This post is less about food itself than about the ways we obsess over it- don’t worry, no recipes for anything edible made in a bathtub will be included here. On a recent trip home to visit my family, I found myself without my usual bag of travel-sized shampoo, soap, and conditioner. Oh well, I thought, between the four other people who share the shower (two sisters and two brothers), I can just borrow someone else’s. I was not expecting the smorgasbord of choices that lined every edge and shelf of the shower: apparently my siblings’ tastes in shampoo varied as much as their tastes at the dinner table, from vegetarian to meat-and-potatoes-only. After reviewing the choices, and resisting the urge to begin commentating a food network show, I decided on some Juicy Green Apple shampoo, followed by the Tropical Coconut conditioner, and my sister’s oatmeal and brown sugar soap. Then I found the apricot almond facial scrub, and just had to try it out. Feeling like a walking tropical fruit cobbler, I stepped out and dried off with my lemon meringue towel, garnished with some Frosty Mint lip balm and pomegranate coco-butter lotion. When I finally headed down to breakfast, I found myself craving something heavy, like eggs and sausage gravy. Certainly nothing fruity, and nothing involving soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment